Rose Petals Apple Tart
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 table spoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (cut it in small cubes)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup grounded walnuts (processed in food processor)
- Maple Syrup custard cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Apple peddles
- 4 Apples ( Pacific Roses works the best, if not find the crunchy kind, not mushy kind)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Water (enough to over apple slices)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 drops Maraschino Cherry juice (optional for making the rose peddle more pink)
Step 1 Making a crust.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees,
- In a food processor, mix flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter, pulse until mixture resemble coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and mix together until mixture come together (Do not over mix it).
- Add oats and walnuts, pulse to combine.
- Press dough on the bottom of the tart plate and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool the crust completely.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and light.
- Mix Maple Syrup into 1. and beat in flour and cornstarch.
- Bring the whole milk to boil in a small saucepan.
- Gradually add milk into 2. while whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to saucepan and bring it to boil. You will be whisking constantly until mixture is thick and pulling away from the sides of pan to avoid scorching.
- Stir in vanilla extract in 5.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and cover surface directly with the plastic wrap, and cool it in the refrigerator until it reaches room temperature.
Step 3 Making the rose peddles.
- Core the apples and slice them thinly (about1.5mm thin).
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon powder and sugar.
- Add water and honey and microwave it for 20-30 seconds until they are pliable.
- (Optional:) Add Maraschino cherry juice to color the peddles more pink for your liking.
Step 4 Assemble.
- Fill the crust with custard.
- Roll the apple slices to form a rose. Start from the middle of a rose and work your way outwards. The first one has to be rolled tight.
- Place each rose on top of the custard and chill the tart in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.